Thursday, September 13, 2012

Humor - I'm Going To Hike The Appalachian Trail



A little bit of humor today, Appalachian Trail style.  This video showcases a typical conversation when you tell someone you are going to hike the Appalachian Trail.  I don’t think that people intend to be mean about it, but leaving everything behind is such an out of the box idea that it catches people off guard.  I do have to say, I was blessed with friends and family who were very supportive of my decision to hike the AT.  Other hikers may not have been so lucky.  For other hikers it may have been more like this…
 * I did not create this video, but I think it is great! 


 I included a few of my favorite lines in text below: 

Hiker: I’m going to hike the Appalachian Trail.
Person:  That sounds so cool…maybe I can go with you!
Hiker:  The trail goes from Georgia to Maine, it will take me 6 months.
Person:  Are you serious?!  You are going to hike for 6 months?

Person:  Are you going to have to hunt and kill your own food?
Hiker:  No, I will carry my own food.

Person:  Is your wife going?
Hiker:  No, she does not like to hike as much as I do.

Person:  How will you take a shower?
Hiker:  I will not shower on the trail.  Maybe i will bathe in a stream, or use baby wipes.
Person:  That’s gross, your wife is going to find a new husband who showers.

Person:  Are you going to carry a gun?
Hiker:  No
Person:  I have a gun you can take.  It is very small.
Hiker:  I have to carry everything I take, I am not going to take the extra weight of a gun.

Person:  Aren’t you afraid about being murdered?
Hiker:  No, the people who hike the Appalachian Trail are nice people.

Person:  Oh, I see, you want to get out of work for 6 months and live like a lazy hippie in the woods.
Hiker:  I am not lazy.  Hiking the Appalachian Trail is not easy.  Most people who attempt to hike it don’t finish.
Person:  This sounds like a miserable thing to do.  You are going to come back all stinky and hairy.  You are going to turn into some kind of smelly animal with no manners.  You are going to regret this.
Hiker:  I don’t know why you have such a problem with this.  You don’t have to go, no one is asking you to.

Person:  Okay, let’s see if I have this correct.  You are going to live in the woods for 6 months.  You will sleep in a tent on the ground by yourself.  You aren’t going to shower.  And I am assuming you are going to have to go to the bathroom in the woods.  And you spent a lot of money on this?  You should have spent you hard earned money on a good shrink.  You should really listen to me on what is in your best interest.  I cannot believe such an educated young man is choosing to do such a stupid thing.    I am going to Google the Appalachian Trail tonight and bring you a bunch of information on all the bad things that are going to happen to you out there.
Hiker:  Thanks for your support!

No comments:

Post a Comment